close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

Changes to County Services

Updated 8/13/2021

In response to the Governor’s declaration of a state of emergency due to the possible spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), Gem County is implementing measures to reduce the risk of exposure and assure the safety of our personnel and the public. In-person services at the County Courthouse and County Annexes are restricted as follows in order to plan for and prevent the spread of COVID-19. Gem County is following the CDC and World Health Organization guidance and are checking daily for updates and adjusting our workflow and services to the public accordingly.

  • Call (208) 365-2982 for assistance.
    • We will accept the following documents via mail, e-mail, fax, or dropbox at the front door:Homeowner’s Exemption Application
    • Property Tax Reduction Application (Circuit Breaker) and Documentation
    • Commercial Surveys
    • Agricultural Exemption Verification and Documentation
    • Personal Property Declaration
    • Exempt Property Declaration
  • We will provide the following via mail, e-mail or fax:
    • Public Record Request Responses
    • Homeowner’s Exemption Application
    • Property Tax Reduction Application (Circuit Breaker)
    • Commercial Surveys
    • Agricultural Exemption Verification
    • Personal Property Declaration
    • Exempt Property Declaration
  • We will also be able to initially file Property Tax Reduction Applications via a phone conversation.

Motor Vehicle Services
  • Motor Vehicle office is open to process registrations and title applications. We are limiting customer access to our lobby. Please wait outside the door until you are invited into the office. Masks are not required.
  • Office hours are Monday to Friday 7:00am to 5:00pm. We do not process titles after 4:45pm.
  • Our office is temporarily unable to register any Parks and Recreation registrations, including boats, ATV, UTV (off hwy), snowmobiles, and invasive species stickers. We are able to issue Park Passports.
  • For information please go to their website:  Parks And Recreation
  • For Idaho Transportation Department information click DMV Services.

  • Recording can be done online through Simplifile and by mail.
  • Marriage License processing is by appointment only.
  • Passport Acceptance is by appointment only.
  • Lockbox outside the door for use.
  • Please call (208) 365-4561 for additional information.

Courts (Magistrate & District)
Pursuant to the Order issued by the Supreme Court of the State of Idaho the Magistrate & District Courts are currently open to the public with the strong recommendation that people maintain social distancing and wear a face covering. Please refer to the following instructions:

  • All persons are required to wear a mask while in a court facility on court business.
  • All persons, not of the same household, must observe a minimum of six feet of social distancing from other persons. 
  • To download a PDF copy of the State Supreme Court order … click here.
  • Payments for fines and fees can be made online. Click here for instructions
  • Civil Protection Orders can now be filed on-line. Click here for instructions
  • Please call for any questions regarding due dates and /or completion dates (number below).
  • If you have a hearing scheduled and don't know if you need to appear in person or by Zoom please call our office the day before the hearing. 
  • Our phone number is (208) 365-4221.

Development Services
  • All Planning & Zoning hearings will be held online using the Zoom platform.
  • There is now a mail slot on the front door for dropping off payments/plans/information after hours.
  • Email list of Employees:
  • Office Hours
    • Mon  8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
    • Tue    8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
    • Wed  9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
    • Thu   8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
    • Fri     8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
  • Office phone  208-365-5144

  • Office is closed to public access.
  • Office will be staffed from 11:00-AM to 5:00-PM, Mon-Fri.
  • Questions or information please call (208) 365-6828 or email

Juvenile Probation
  • Open Monday through Friday, 8:00AM to 5:00PM
  • Shannon Carter, Chief JPO
    Cell: 208-550-4480
  • Whitney Bruce, Deputy JPO
    Cell: 208-866-0672
  • Office phone: 208-365-2127  Fax: 208-365-6114

Landfill (JAG Transfer Facility & Montour)
  • Jackass Gulch Facility…
    • We will not make exact change. Fees will be rounded up to the nearest $5.00.
    • Open Monday thru Saturday, 9:00-AM to 4:30-PM.
    • We will be operating with reduced staff.
    • We are limiting our interactions with public for the protection of both.
    • We will not be helping public unload their items.
    • We will not be having free trash day this year.
  • Montour Facility…
    • Only open Saturdays 8:00-AM to 1:00-PM.
    • Only one (1) car allowed in the site at a time. If violated facility will be closed.

Noxious Weeds
  • In-office services at the Gem County Noxious Weed Department are now suspended until further notice.
  • Gem County is following the CDC and World Health Organization guidance and checking daily for updates and will be adjusting services to the public accordingly.
  • The Gem County Noxious Weed Department can be contacted as follows:
Office: 208-365-4201
FAX: 208-365-2690

  • The Prosecutor’s Office is closed to public.
  • Please call or email the office for additional information.
  • Our phone number is (208) 365-2106.
  • Our email address is

Road and Bridge
  • Gem County Road and Bridge (GCRB) will be restricting public contact at the office at this time. GCRB will continue to conduct business through the means of email, telephone or fax.
  • Any permits pertaining to GCRB can be faxed or emailed.
  • Permit fees can be paid with credit card to Gem County Development Service by phone or with a check mailed to the Gem County Road & Bridge office address.
Mailing Address:
Gem County Road & Bridge
402 N. Hayes Ave
Emmett, ID 83617

Sheriff’s Office
  • Driver’s License & Civil Department
    • Driver’s License is open for services by Appointment Only. Click here for more details.
    • SORA applicants and Civil issues please call (208) 365-4483.
    • Public fingerprinting services provided by drivers license by appointment only
    • Masks are required in all Sheriff facilities
    • Screening and temperature taken for all Sheriff services
  • Gem County Jail
    • Jail or Inmate questions may be directed to (208) 365-4484
  • For SILD questions contact Director B McNevins call (208) 477-2208
  • For Work Release contact Gem County Jail call (208) 365-4484 (temporarily suspended)
  • All other non-emergency questions may be directed to the Gem County Dispatch Center call (208) 365-3521

  • Our office is open to the public, Monday - Friday 8:00AM - 5:00PM.
  • You may mail check or money order Payable to the Gem County Tax Collector, 415 E. Main Street, Suite 200, Emmett, ID 83617.
    • Please list PIN #(s) or address of property on your check or money order to assure payment is credited to the proper parcel.
  • You may visit the County’s website at and pay by E-Check ($1.00 processing fee) or to pay with a credit/debit card (transaction will be processed as a credit and a 2.5% fee will apply).
  • To leave payment in lockbox …
    • Must be check or money order
    • Must list the PIN #(s) or address of property
    • Must be enclosed and sealed in envelope addressed to the Gem County Tax Collector.
  • For any additional tax information please contact my office at (208) 365-3272 or email

University of Idaho Extension Office
  • The office is closed to the public and staff is available by email and telephone. (208) 365-6363 and