close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

Voter Registration

To register and vote, you must:
  • Be a U.S. citizen
  • Be a resident of Idaho and Gem County for thirty (30) days preceding the election
  • Have reached eighteen (18) years of age
To register to vote, you must provide one of the following acceptable forms of identification:
  • Current Idaho Driver's License
  • Current Idaho Identification Card
  • Current U.S. Passport or Federal Photo Identification
  • Current Tribal Identification Card
  • Current Idaho Concealed Weapons License 
To register to vote, you must provide one of the following items for proof of residence:
  • Photo ID w/ Correct Address
  • Proof of Insurance
  • Mortgage, Lease or Rental Agreement
  • Property Tax Assessment, Bill, or Receipt
  • Utility Bill (NO Cell Phone Bills)
  • Bank/Credit Card Statement
  • Paystub/Paycheck
  • Intake Document to Care Facility
  • Enrollment Letter From Idaho HS or University
  • Letter from Social Service Agency
You are not eligible to vote if you have been:
  • Convicted of a felony and your rights have not been restored.

You need to register again if you have:

  • Changed your name
  • Moved to a different address
  • Not voted within the last four (4) years

You may register to vote online at:

If you need to cancel your voter registration complete the form below. 
Cancellation of Voter Registration

You may also register to vote by completing a Voter Registration Form and mailing it or in person at:

Gem County Clerk
Gem County Courthouse
415 E. Main St.  Room 202
Emmett, ID 83617
Monday through Friday
8:00am – 5:00pm

Registration is subject to dates on the Current Local Elections Calendar

In Idaho we also have same day registration, which gives you the privilege to register on Election Day. In order to register and vote on Election Day you must:

  • Appear in person
  • Have a acceptable photo ID and an acceptable form of proof of 30-day residency such as a:
    • Drivers license
    • Idaho ID card
    • Acceptable proof of residency document which contains a valid address in the precinct you reside with

NOTE:  When going to the polls to vote, you will need to have a state or federal issued photo ID.

Call the Clerk’s Office at (208) 365-4561 if you have questions.